- The QCHS Timetable 2013-2014, Model 10 – doc | pdf
- Christian Secondary School Diploma (CSSD) Requirements – doc | pdf
- The QCHS Course Information Table – doc | pdf
- CLICK HERE TO LOGIN
WELCOME TO THE QCHS COURSE SELECTION INSTRUCTIONS
For students going into Grade 11 or Grade 12 in September 2013
Due to a variety of circumstances that occurred at the end of the semester, the QCHS timetable was adjusted. As a result, the new timetable was created (Model 9).
All QCHS students that will be starting Grade 11, or Grade 12, in September 2013, must follow the instructions below.
Students who are starting Grade 9, or Grade 10 in September 2013, DO NOT have to do this.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR STUDENTS GOING INTO GRADE 11 & GRADE 12
1 – Enter new course selections on-line before August 19, 2013, using the username and passwords that were emailed to parents at the end of June 2013.
2 – The guidance office is closed until August 19, 2013. If you need help, you can contact Mr. Smeenk on or after August 19. (firstname.lastname@example.org)
3 – You must carefully read and follow all the documents and instructions before contacting Mr. Smeenk for help. The instructions and documents are designed to answer your questions. This includes all of the instructions in this document, the notes below the timetable, and the QCHS Courses Information Table.
COURSE SELECTION STEPS: MAKING YOUR COURSE SELECTIONS
Use the CSSD Requirements document (Christian Secondary School Diploma Requirements) to make a list of what you have and don’t have. Include the courses you don’t have in your course selections. Note: all students must take World Religions 3M in their Grade 11 year. The list you create in this step (1) is crucial for ensuring that you will graduate (earn your OSSD and CSSD).
Note: All of the courses required for the OSSD are included in the CSSD.
You can use your transcript found on your online student file to see the classes you have completed. Click here to login: https://hosting.maplewood.com/ON/Private/QCHS/Students/
I recommend opening this login page, then adding it to your bookmarks for easy future access.
Make a list of courses that you might need for potential post-secondary applications. These would be courses that are required by a college or university program (these are called prerequisites or admission requirements).
- For Ontario Universities you find prerequisites (admission requirements) at www.electronicinfo.ca > Find a program > Browse by Program > use their search tool by entering the name of the program you are considering > click search > then click on the name of the major or program to find the Ontario Secondary School Prerequisites. (course codes are listed in “The QCHS Course Information Table”)
All Ontario Universities require 6 classes that are 4U level, or 4M level, which can include any specific prerequisites they determine.
Example: Some Engineering Programs at some universities will require ENG4U, MHF4U, MCV4U, SPH4U, and SCH4U (or SBI4U) — Plus one additional 4U or 4M for a total of 6 4Us or 4Ms.
- For Ontario Colleges you find prerequisites (admission requirements) at the individual colleges’ websites. However, a great place to start is www.ontariocolleges.ca > Find > Use their “search by keyword” tool by entering the name of the program you are considering > click search > find the college web-page with the admission requirements by clicking on “visit” in the column labeled website OR from the search list, click on the “program title” and on the next screen click on the “College” name OR “website” (right side of the screen).
QUESTION: WHAT DO I DO IF I DON’T KNOW WHAT I WANT TO STUDY AFTER HIGH SCHOOL?
If you are not sure what you want to study after high school, it is wise to consider which options do you want to keep open. Do you want to keep University and College open as options? Or, perhaps just College? Choose your high school courses such that the options remain as open as you would like, so that you can decide on your college or university applications when that time comes. (University applications are early January each year, college applications are around February 1st each year)
So far, you should have a list from STEP 1 above, and a list from STEP 2 above. For this STEP (3) take a look at the courses in your STEP 1 list, and your STEP 2 list. Check the QCHS Course Information table – document, for prerequisites for the STEP 1 courses and STEP 2 courses. Make a list of these courses. Then,be sure to include them in your course selections.
For example, if you need MCV4U (Calculus and Vectors 4U), then you must take the prerequisite MHF4U first (Advanced Fuctions4U). And, if you need MHF4U, then you must take MCR3U (Functions and Relations 3U = Grade 11 U Math)
Check your transcript found on your online student file (the same one where you check your marks and make course selections). Use that list of courses (transcript) as you plan ahead to get 30 credits by June of your planned graduation year.
Click here to login: https://hosting.maplewood.com/ON/Private/QCHS/Students/
Use the QCHS Timetable 2013-2014 (Model 9) to make your choices for next year (2013 – 2014). These choices should be made directly from the lists you made in STEP 1, STEP 2, and STEP 3.
- The QCHS Courses Information Table has some very important advice, especially for grade 11 students. Grade 11 and 12 students can take many different courses, including 3Os, 3Ms, 3Cs, 3Us, AND 4Os, 4E,s 4Cs, 4Ms, and 4Us. If you are in grade 11, be sure to consider the possibility of taking 3 level, and 4 level classes, as long as you have the prerequisite.
- Many 4Os, 4Es, 4Cs, and 4Ms do not have prerequisites, so any grade 11 or grade 12 student can take them!
- Also, grade 12 students can take 3 level classes (such as Accounting3M, Communication Technology3M etc…)
- Students can also select the after school music course (Stage Band Music) as a 9th course in their timetable. Select AMH3M if you are in grade 11, or select AMH4M if you are in grade 12.
Log-in to your on-line student file, and select your courses for next year.
CLICK HERE TO LOG IN: https://hosting.maplewood.com/ON/Private/QCHS/Students/
Use the username and password sent home at the end of June, to parent email accounts.
The course codes in the QCHS Course Information Table will be very helpful.
The notes on the right side of the QCHS Course Information Table will also be very helpful.
A – Once logged in, you will be making your course selections in TIMETABLES > CHOICES > EDIT – and then maximize / enlarge this screen.
B – On this screen, click on the “no departments assigned” folder’s “plus sign +” to open. This contains the lists of all the available classes for next year.
C – Then click on any “plus sign +” to open a list of courses by grade.
D – From the list of classes, click on a class that you would like to choose, or about which you would like to read the details.
E – Find the class you want to select, and click on it in the list of classes. Then, once it appears in the “course information” field, click “add”.
(Please note that for all of your choices you should select the mandatory label.)
F – You will see your added courses in the “student choices” field after you have added them. These are your course selections for next year.
G – If you make a mistake, or change your mind, to remove a class from your selections, check the delete box for that class, then click the delete button on the bottom right of the student choices field.
H – ONLY SELECT 8 CLASSES, UNLESS YOU ARE SELECTING ONE OF THE AFTER SCHOOL MUSIC CLASSES, IN WHICH CASE THE AFTER SCHOOL MUSIC CLASS CAN BE YOUR NINTH CLASS.
You can only select one after school music class.
If you are in grade 10, select AMH2O
If you are in grade 11, select AMH3M
If you are in grade 12, select AMH4M.